Why is Sony opposed to full swivel LCD monitor vs limited use pivot ?

Started Sep 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
Sean Nelson
Sean Nelson Forum Pro • Posts: 12,973
Re: Why is Sony opposed to full swivel LCD monitor vs limited use pivot ?

JJ Rodin wrote:

Valid points I suppose but I can't imagine why to shoot from the waist?

I usually shoot with the camera held well below eye level and the LCD screen tilted up.   Not necessarily all the way down by my waist, but enough that I really like the tilt LCD.

I just find it to be a more comfortable shooting position then holding the camera out in front of me.   It may have something to do with the fact that I got my start in photography with medium format twin- and single-lens reflex cameras with waist-level finders.   But I also like the fact that by tilting my head down to view it's usually in the shade so I get less problems with bright reflections on the LCD screen when I'm shooting in sunlight.

I also prefer a fully articulated LCD because it gives me even more freedom to take, for example, low-angle shots in portrait mode.   But I've settled for Sony's tilt-only screen because there simply isn't any other camera small enough to take everywhere that does decent 1080p60 video and has an articulated screen.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow