BIF- Bat in Flight

Started Sep 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
Danielvr Veteran Member • Posts: 4,921
Re: BIF- Bat in Flight

I had many misses, any advice for shooting wildlife in the dark with this combo would be appreciated. The biggest problems I have are, the lens hunting lots and when I do lock on, sometimes when I press the shutter it seems to default to a long exposure, despite the flash being fully charged?

Do everything manually; put the camera on a tripod pointing upwards, use a fairly wide focal length (eg 40-80mm depending on where the bats fly - they shouldn't become too small but the angle should be wide enough to actually catch them), choose a small aperture for lots of focus depth and use ISO 200 to avoid noise. Set focus manually to the approximate distance of the bats. Set the flash to manual as well and set its power to what you expect will be needed for the combination of ISO, aperture and distance. Make a couple of test shots until you get the exposure right. Then setup a comfy stretcher near the cam, lie down and shoot whenever you see a bat fly over. With some luck, quite a few will be sharp and correctly exposed. If it's really dark and the sky is clear and there are no branches in sight, you can even keep the shutter open for a minute or so, and just fire the flash whenever a bat swoops along -- that way you will get multiple bats in each image. I've done something like this a couple of years ago with some success, but I had to improvise and use the internal flash of my E-510. When you're prepared and have a powerful flash that recharges quickly, it should work quite well.

Danielvr's gear list:Danielvr's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/50 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow