BIF- Bat in Flight

Started Sep 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
kittykat23uk
kittykat23uk Senior Member • Posts: 1,183
BIF- Bat in Flight

I was on Safari once again and the lodge we stayed at put out banana to attract the bush babies and these guys, Peter's Epaulated Fruit Bat. It gave my E-620, 50-200 and FL50R a good work out. I had many misses, any advice for shooting wildlife in the dark with this combo would be appreciated. The biggest problems I have are, the lens hunting lots and when I do lock on, sometimes when I press the shutter it seems to default to a long exposure, despite the flash being fully charged? I variously tried Aperture mode, and Auto, and also prefocusing on a beam at rughly the same distance that the bats were flying around. I also tried Manual focus and S-AF + MF but I think in the end, S-AF and a lot of luck got me this shot. It is a bit sharper than it looks on here.

All the best

Jo

-- hide signature --
 kittykat23uk's gear list:kittykat23uk's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH
Olympus E-620 (EVOLT E-620)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow