>>> Street Photography eXchange #60 <<<

Started Sep 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
OP xtoph Veteran Member • Posts: 9,871
Re: thank you all for commenting

hexar wrote:

I happen to have seen thousands od Winogrands photos Xtoph

really? i am surprised, since only a few hundred are publicly available. where did you see them?

i was fortunate to have a chance to see the latest sfmoma exhibit of his--which included dozens of photos never before publicly exhibited--in person, which was a real eye-opening experience, even for someone who has handled some of his original prints before. have you had the opportunity to see that work yet?

and I know that his crooked horizons are part of his maniacal shooting style. He shot a scene or object " to see what it looked like as a photograph " and not because the estetics of compositional rules was important to him. However within his unconventional way of working with his crooked pics he managed to fill the surface of his 35mm film in a unique way. Creating a new style of implementation of the classic composition rules. Great attention to the content of the borders of his pics and shots that looked " random snapshots" became pieces of art because of this revolutionary " out of the box" way of shooting and composing in his unique manner. so far about Winogrand.

the reason i brought up winogrand was because what you wrote above conflated 'good composition' with a level horizon, and not much else in the way of specifics. and, i think you are wrong that composition wasn't important to winogrand while shooting; and composition is what made his works of art revolutionary. you seem to have an idiosyncratic definition of composition, and i was simply trying to bring a broader understanding of it to bear.

Now about Xtoph: Your pic does not gain anything by the crooked horizon

well, it gains subject matter, which without the angle of the camera wouldn't all fit in the frame, as i said.

nor is it part of a specific style or intention you have in your work. This crooked horizon in your pic comes out of the blue

really? just looking at the past few weeks of work i have posted here, consider for instance:

i may not go down in history as famous for tilted frames, but i won't be remembered for rectilinearity, that's for certain.

and looks irritating to the eye. Distracts from the content . Nice to know your classics Xtoph but in this case it would be better to know yourself.

well, you're certainly entitled you your opinion, and you've made that abundantly clear. i always appreciate learning people's honest perceptions of my photos, so thank you for sharing yours. in the future, you might help people more if you try to express not just your judgement on a photo, but what you see in it precisely, and why you think the things you see there are good or bad.

i have a clear understanding of my own style and objectives for my photos, and these fit well with that. they aren't the same as winogrand's, of course, but they do have a unifying principle. in fact, it is imprinted on every photo.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow