Travel Lens Kit Philosophy

Started Sep 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
Brev00
Brev00 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,166
Re: Travel Lens Kit Philosophy

Jeff Klofft wrote:

Whenever I travel with my camera and want to take a smaller DSLR kit, I seem to always face the dilemma: do I take something simple like a superzoom (and maybe a small wide lens or wide-zoom) or something like a wide-zoom paired with a tele-zoom (and maybe a small 50). With the former I give up some quality for convenience and few lens changes but at the cost of image quality. With the other set, it’s just the opposite.

Now I know that sometimes the destination makes this choice obvious, but all things being equal, I’d be curious to know what everyone else does. Thanks.

Exactly what sort of traveling are you doing that necessitates this choice?  I just finished a year traveling more than ever before (Hawaii, Bermuda, Oregon, Lake George) and found myself able to take both sets of choices to each location.  I rely on your second choice for the majority of situations:  a 17-70 os with a 70-300 vc.  But, I also have a very light and small Tamron 28-300 which marries very well with my Tokina 12-24 for the first type of kit you describe.  I like the second setup for those situations lens changing may not be indicated:  boating, volcano viewing, etc.  All four lenses fit in the either of my two bags and can be carried on a plane.  I can drop all the gear at a hotel and take what I need for the day.  If I had to choose one or the other due to some kind of restriction, I would take the superzoom setup.  The light weight and convenience combined with an iq that is fine for me would be decisive.  Especially if I am traveling with others who do not share my passion for pictures.  If there was a lot of fast action involved, I would have to go with the 70-300 vc.

Brev00's gear list:Brev00's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow