Taking inventory after a long, long wait

Started Sep 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
fakuryu
fakuryu Senior Member • Posts: 1,329
Do you feel that there would actually be an improvement if you go FF?

I mean, will the improvement be that substantial? Do you need more than 16mp? Do you do really large prints? Do you need very clean shots above ISO1600?

Yesterday, I was asked by a friend if given the budget to go FF, what body would I for with regards to my current system (K5II DA40/70LTD). Shooting every now and then with a D3S and a D800, it took me quite sometime to think of a system that suits my style and I found out that there are no current lenses from Canikon that really interest me. So I established what would I want in a camera, something smallish, light, excellent IQ and good AF. Given those, the D3S is too big and too heavy but that unbelievably clean ISO6400 is really to die for, the D800 is also an excellent camera but is also bulky.

In the end, it was a half-hearted decision for a D600 + Sigma 35mm f1.4A + 85mm f1.8G but the funny thing that keeps playing on my mind was I would rather get the Sigma 35mm f1.4A and a K5IIs anytime or keep my K5II DA40/70 combo and get a Fuji Xpro1+ Fujinon 35mm f1.4.

Surprisingly, the K5II's AF feels as snappy as the D800 the last time I used one.

Don't get me wrong, a FF has a lot of advantages but the only advantage I want as of know is that bigger OVF.

-- hide signature --

There is no such thing a "Pro" level gear, just Pro level work.

fakuryu's gear list:fakuryu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Pentax K-r Pentax Q Pentax K-5 II
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow