New (and better?) Bare Bulb Alternative to Q Flash and Elinchrom Ranger. What do you think?

Started Apr 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
Nikonparrothead Veteran Member • Posts: 5,085
Re: The modifier mount issues....

lazerbean wrote:

True, it's just that a lot of these workarounds are less than elegant, and more often than not add a lot of bulk and extra set-up time, sometimes defeating the purpose of a small and light location flash rig in the first place. And it makes me angry when so-called makers of professional flash gear that are asking professional prices for their gear can't even get something so simple as an umbrella mount right! I'm thinking about the Elinchrom Quadra - first of all, Elinchrom have insisted on the stupid 7mm shaft for years, and then they forgot to include a flash tube protector and proper umbrella mount - some pretty major oversights I think. It provokes me when they charge "professional" prices but deliver products that are half-baked and needs tinkering to make it usable. Yet, it's the flash unit I have used the most for the last couple of years, so I will give them credit for that. I just wished they would have made it a more complete product, and given the ergonomics some more thought.

I know what you mean. I own a Quadra the mounts are a challenge (the RQ adapter can and will bend under the weight of the Deep Octa -- seen it happen, twice). Though the flip side argument can be made that putting a small head on a big modifier is inelegant in itself.

Lastolite's first attempt at an adapter was a  joke (But it can be used with one of those little 12-inch speedlight dishes) and Mola has a special bracket for its Demi that can be used with its Quadra speedring adapter (just off size from the Lastolite enough to be impractical there).

I believe they were going for size and not trying to cannibalize big Ranger sales though.

-- hide signature --

'Nice pen, bet you write good stories with it.'

Nikonparrothead's gear list:Nikonparrothead's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon Coolpix A Panasonic LX100 +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow