Oh no ! Not another Iridient Developper test !

Started Sep 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
Brian Griffith Regular Member • Posts: 188
Re: Oh no ! Not another Iridient Developper test !

dark13star wrote:

Brian,

It's great that you are here on the forum helping us with your excellent software. Quick question. Are there any learning resources other than the Help file? I'd like to have the proficiency to do what you just did. Perhaps I just need to read through the entire help.

Thanks
Rich

-- hide signature --

"I would be an historian as Herodotus was." -Charles Olson
http://herodot.us

I do have to be careful and not spend too much time on forums... slippery slope and there is still lots of "real" work to do on Iridient Developer

The documentation is available by choosing "Iridient Developer Help" from the Help menu while running the program. Beyond that officially I haven't put out much in the way of tips or video tutorials, but they're on my list.

However, just about any online article, book or magazine regarding image processing with other popular editing programs like Photoshop is generally applicable. Core adjustments like exposure, contrast, saturation, brightness, white balance are pretty much shared across most all image editors. The exact values of the adjustments may vary from program to program, but the concepts are very, very much the same.

For example tone curves in Iridient Developer are virtually identical to those in Photoshop (can even load Photoshop curves into Iridient) so just about any article on tone curves (LAB and/or RGB) is completely applicable to working with curves in Iridient Developer.

Two critical RAW adjustments to fine tune the RAW rendering (look) to suit your own personal tastes tend to be sharpening and noise reduction. These controls tend to vary a bit more in options and values from RAW processor to RAW processor and some of the default "sharpness" or "detail" or "film look" is going to depend on the core demosaic (or interpolation) processing used for RAW images.

However, even with sharpening and noise reduction the basic concepts are much the same regardless of editing program. If you prefer a smoother, less noisy look use more noise reduction (almost always higher number values or adjusting sliders to the right) and less sharpening. Vice versa if you love detail and sharpness and don't mind a little grain or noise use more sharpening and less noise reduction.

Completely disabling sharpening and/or noise reduction at the RAW processing stage in most cases is simply handicapping the RAW processor. I think you'll generally get a better final result with using at least a little bit of both with most RAW processors these days even if you intend to do later sharpening or noise reduction using plug-ins or other image editors later in your workflow.

Defaults are just defaults so some experimentation is absolutely necessary with any new RAW processor to figure out what works best. There just no way myself or the folks at Adobe or Fujifilm or Capture One, etc can magically know the perfect starting settings to please everyone all the time Personal preferences vary widely on these options and for that matter even the subject, lighting, lens used, final output (screen, web, small print, large print) can alter the "perfect" adjustment options with literally every image.

Most RAW processors allow you to overwrite the generic defaults with your own personal starting point which can really speed workflow if you are always making major changes from the initial settings. In Iridient Developer you can do this by adjusting settings to taste and then choosing "Make Settings Camera Default" from the File menu. To go back to the generic defaults choose "Reset Camera Default".

Best regards,

Brian Griffith

Iridient Digital

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow