Nikon D3 shutter quandary

Started Sep 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
Grevture Veteran Member • Posts: 4,187
Richard (and the OP) - Don't worry ;)

Richard wrote:

I have to believe it is the way I use my camera or bad habit of changing lenses without turning it off that causes this (or it could be a random glitch sometimes) but I have not heard anyone else complain of this so I assume it is my doing.

Don't worry about changing lenses without turning the camera off. More or less everybody does that. As far as I can recollect I have only once in my 30+ years of photography met a photographer who actually consistently turned his camera off before changing lenses

I talked to a Nikon service tech about this a couple of years ago and he shrugged his shoulders and said it is one of those 'better safe then sorry' practices often suggested in manuals but who almost no one follows in practice. In theory, some kind of communication between camera and lens could be going on while you disconnect the lens, and in some remotely probable case, this could cause some temporary internal confusion in the camera. Turn off and then on again and it is solved.

What is a real source of camera locking is bad connections between camera and lens, like when a lens is not 100% correctly mounted, if there is dirt and debris in the lens mount or if the lens mount is ever so slightly damaged.

The lens-to-camera connection is a mechanical one with electrical contacts, and there is a lot of high speed communication going on through those contacts. Even though the camera surely has some amount of error correction built in to deal with miscommunications, in the history of a camera you are bound to have a few glitches along the way. It is the nature of any electronic equipment with mechanical connections. Similar problems occur much more often with flashes where the physical connection is less sturdy. And they will occur with almost any kind of external unit you electrically connect to a camera (battery grips, cable connections, etc).

In sum, these things happen and as long as they are rare, don't worry to much about them.

In the case of the OP, what he experienced could have been cause by a temporary communication glitch between lens and camera, or by something else. In any case, the same advice is the same: as long as something like this happen only rarely, don't worry to much about it.

(And yes, I have had occasional hangups several times, with almost every camera I have used. But it have only happened a handful of times in the past ten years, during which I have shot approximately 650 000 images, give or take a few ...)

-- hide signature --

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it!
By the way, film is not dead.
It just smell funny

Grevture's gear list:Grevture's gear list
Nikon D70s Nikon D3 Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow