How can Oly EM-1 compete when FF DSLR with L zoom goes for $2300?

Started Sep 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
ultimitsu
ultimitsu Veteran Member • Posts: 6,650
Re: If I might add....

drj3 wrote:

RicksAstro wrote:

While you may want the DOF control that a FF gives on a telephoto lens, I use telephoto lenses for wildlife photography and would consider the shallow depth of field of the FF a significant disadvantage.

Can you show us a wildlife telephoto image where DOF was too shallow and detrimentally affected the image? Because I love wildlife photos, I have seen many many tens of thousands of them, many were shot using 500mm and 600mm F4 lenses and FFDSLR, I cannot remember a single one of them where I thought to myself the DOF was too shallow.

Personally I would like a fast telephoto lens that gives an even greater DOF than the four thirds lenses. Increasing the f stop for the FF is not a solution, since that would require an increase in ISO and defeat the only significant advantage of the FF while leaving a larger heavier camera.

That is only true where lighting is limited, but lighting is not always limited, is it?

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow