How can Oly EM-1 compete when FF DSLR with L zoom goes for $2300?

Started Sep 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
RicksAstro
RicksAstro Veteran Member • Posts: 3,651
Re: If I might add....

The 70-200 2.8 IS is 100% internal zoom (doesn't extend) and has 2 stops more DOF control, which is hugely significant for many situations in portraiture.  I've owned both of there and the Canon is in a different ballpark altogether in terms of build quality and image quality.

Since the 25-100 can extend, it's more fair to compare to a FF zoom that extends, like this:

http://camerasize.com/compact/#380.296,289.366,ha,t

Where the Canon has at least as much DOF control on a FF camera, has 50% more reach and, while not the the sharpest Canon zoom, can resolve a similar number of LW/PH at overlapping equivalent apertures and focal lengths as the Panny according to Photozone.

Go to the slightly larger 70-300 IS, it's even sharper and the 70-200 f4 IS has a stop more DOF control and resolved far more on a FF than the Panny does on m43.   And they are both quite a bit cheaper.

Yes, if you compare at the same real f stops, m43 is far smaller, but compare a f2.8 lens on FF with a f5.6 one on m43 (equivalent), you will also see a huge difference in size and cost.

With anything in photography, you pay dearly for that extra capability beyond what most people need/use.   Put a 35-100 f1.4 internal zoom on m43 (which is equivalent to 70-200 f2.8) and you are going to have a large and hugely expensive lens.   A FF 70-200 f5.6 extendable lens on the other hand would be quite inexpensive.

Again, not saying FF is better or worse, there are just differences and I feel it's important to understand those differences.    IF you want small, choose m43...there is a fantastic selection of high quality lenses.   But if you don't mind the size of FF, there's little reason to choose m43 over ff, as the cost/IQ is at least as much.

-- hide signature --
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow