Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 II (H-H020A) - Banding

Started Aug 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
s_grins
s_grins Forum Pro • Posts: 13,251
Re: Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 II (H-H020A) - Banding

hopeless photographer wrote:

There is nothing inside the lens that can produce banding on the sensor. Look somewhere else.

Hi s_grins.

You seem to be ignoring quite a lot of evidence to the contrary. Why is this?

Note - none of this is to say that the problem is the fault of the lens.

I spend way too much time at my day job working around defects in products from other companies. While I do complain about this a fair bit I do work around the problems for the sake of our customers if its viable to do so (almost always true in my field).

Assuming the problem is on the sensor it probably isn't financially viable to fix it there, and so I hoped that Panasonic could do something for me and folks like me. But, if it's not viable it's not viable and it still looks like a great lens for the price*.

FWIW I'm a qualified Electrical Engineer and while I don't work in electronics (though as part of my degree I did study sensors, instrumentation and ADC etc), of course there is stuff in that lens that could trigger the issue. Electrical and RF noise is a difficult problem at the best of times and these things are little electronic miracles as far as I'm concerned.

Cheers!

* Hoping to pick one up soon either as a kit lens with a GX-7 or alongside the now pretty damn reasonably-priced EM-5...

Yes, I'm ignorant about many findings.

Yes, I have very similar to yours background, that is why I'm ignorant. My ignorance comes from critical thinking.

Cheers

S.

-- hide signature --

Looking for equilibrium...

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow