Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 II (H-H020A) - Banding

Started Aug 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
s_grins
s_grins Forum Pro • Posts: 13,255
Re: Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 II (H-H020A) - Banding

tsi wrote:

Zenjitsuman wrote:

I just don't understand how a lens can cause banding. I thought banding was an issue mostly

when trying to push detail out of shadow areas of a photo, and related to a sensors dynamic

range. A lens collects and focuses light but doesn't have bands in its collection as a byproduct.

You are right. The optic components "lens" can not cause banding. It is the electronic circuits of the Lumix 20/1.7 which have an effect on the electronic circuits of the camera (E-M5, E-PL5, E-PM2,...) which is responsible for the banding discussed in this forum.

If you tried another lens set up for the same EV shouldn't they both do the same thing?

With the same ISO and EV I have not seen banding noise of similar strength with any of the following lenses: 14-42(I),14-42(II),7.5/3.5,14/2.5,50/2.0,75/1.8,45/1.8.

There is nothing inside the lens that can produce banding on the sensor. Look somewhere else.

-- hide signature --

Looking for equilibrium...

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow