How can Oly EM-1 compete when FF DSLR with L zoom goes for $2300?

Started Sep 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
Olymore
Olymore Senior Member • Posts: 1,756
Re: How can Oly EM-1 compete when FF DSLR with L zoom goes for $2300?

As I've said in other posts, if someone gave me a FF camera tomorrow I wouldn't open the box and it would be on ebay within 24 hours.
If you need the extra low light abilities or the ability to get shallow depth of field more easily then it is important but for the majority of people M43 is good enough (as good as FF of a few years ago) and lighter and more portable.

In my view FF is a triumph of marketing and for many of the people who buy them nobody will be able to tell the difference if their shots were taken with a Nikon 1 or a FF camera.

The reason I'll probably get an E-M1 is for functional reasons, a high level of weather sealing, a big bright viewfinder in a small size, the ability to work well with four thirds lenses and a bit larger than my E-M5 to make them easier to handle.

Any improvements in the sensor will be a bonus but would be very low down on my list of reasons to buy it.

Hopefully in a few years people will discuss cameras on their functionality and start to realise there is more to a camera than its sensor.

Olymore's gear list:Olymore's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow