How can Oly EM-1 compete when FF DSLR with L zoom goes for $2300?

Started Sep 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jeff Veteran Member • Posts: 5,087
Re: A couple of points ...

Dr_Jon wrote:

Depends what you want, low weight take m43, take the Canon for:

Better low light performance (10 stops DR to ISO 3200, vs ISO 1000 for E-M5, etc.)

Big optical viewfinder (no lag and same DR as your Eye, less on-screen graphics) - I do get a bit fed up of going to major events and watching them on a circa NTSC res TV - 436K RGB pixels)

Better tracking AF

Much wider range of lenses

If you're a Pro much better support

Much easier to get accessories (very wide range)

Much easier to rent extra bits

Manufacturer flash with radio not optical communication built-in

Wider range of non-diffraction-limited apertures (but let's avoid the 20K word discussion of the fine detail)

I'm not saying how you rate the above. That's up to you and will vary wildly. Just a bunch of people do... (I have a GH3, if someone said I could only have one camera and it had to be that or the 6D I'd have the 6D, luckily the World doesn't work that way )

Yes, exactly. It depends on what you want. Couldn't agree more with your last paragraph.

In my own case, with regard to OVF/EVF, after using vf-4 for about 5,000 shots this past month, I beginning to prefer the EVF for the blinkies, focusing peaking, magnified view, and other features that are simply not possible in an OVF.

And with regard to ISO and non-diffraction-limited apertures, the problem is that you do need to think through the 'fine detail' to make proper comparisons across formats. Properly compared, a better statement might be that, theoretically, the 6D should have a couple of stops advantage in low light situations. The quality of the sensor and the IBIS implementation narrows the advantage. That difference may or may not be important to you.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow