A pessimist's take on the new Sony lenses

Started Aug 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
OP ottonis Contributing Member • Posts: 734
Re: An unrealistic take on the new Sony lenses

Mel Snyder wrote:

ottonis wrote:

Mel Snyder wrote:

This is, without a doubt, the most intelligent, comprehensive and important posting on lens practicality and expectation setting I have read on the forum.

It is very well thought out, logically presented and educational for the many here who keep repeating their incessant mantra of mythical expectations. It should be required reading for all those who would, like some religious zealots, keep escalating irrational discussions here on fast lenses, and condemn the current offerings as "dark." They are "dark" only for those incapable of tapping their great capabilities.

As one philosopher noted, "the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis with an ugly fact" - although here, this thoughtful poster has provided so many facts that s/he has thoroughly placed the fervent wishes of so many here firmly into the realm of fantasy. If understood, it will to silence all but the flat earth crowd, and the petulant.

Well done!

-- hide signature --

Tiago wrote an extremely well laid out post and I am grateful for that (see my previous post).

Having said that, reading your posts in this thread I feel compelled to emphasize that NOBODY has been offended or critized or insulted by me and that I really don't see the necessity to keep on bashing or being defensive.

While I am definitely a noob who has only started learning/improving his photography skills, I am not a petulant idiot, just because I expressed my impression and my wishes with regards to Sony lenses. Yes, this thread considerably changed my mind and many posts have been extremely helpful and considerate, and that is exactely what makes this forum so great and useful: It is a place where poeple can talk and discuss facts, pics, techniques and opinions.

There is really no need to get defensive over that.

Cheers.

www.flicker.com/davidsphotoblog777

With all due respect, possibly because you are a "noob" you may be unaware - even from the responses that preceded Tiago's explanation - that your posting echoed a common theme here on the forum. Demands for a pocketable f2.8 zoom are arguably the most repeated asserted need here on the forum, replete with all kinds of aspersions - including yours - that the current offerings are "dark."

I wasn't the least bit defensive (or at least not feeling so). To the contrary, your response to me twice has been very defensive - especially when, unlike most posters, before I comment on a post with which I strongly disagree, I actually look at the poster's gallery. There was a common factor in all the gallery images: no subject was moving. If a subject isn't moving, lens speed becomes pretty irrelevant, except to those for whom bokeh and background blur is key.

There are a wide range of fast lenses that are pocketable - if you have 2 pockets, one for a lens and one for the NEX body - and many cost less than new Zeiss glass.

For example, one I've owned for 30 years - the 90mm f2.8 Leica M Tele-Elmarit. Positively tiny, as in a 39mm front objective. You can pick one up for about the price of one of the Zeiss lenses over which so many fawn. Fantastically sharp, even wide open. I picked mine up for $200 used back then in Copenhagen, and until the mirrorless craze, you could pick them up for $400 - now, $800-1000 is more the rule. There are several on eBay right now. You would not believe how tiny it is, because it uses an old fashioned 5-element design. I believe several of the Takumars and Olympus SLR lenses are pretty fast and small, too. With image peaking, it's quick focusing, and with practice, can easily be shot hand-held at sub 1/30th.

Thank you for the clarification. Seems that I have misunderstood your postings, which I apologize for. The Tele-Elmarit seems to be a lovely little lens. Will have a look at ebay.

-- hide signature --

www.flicker.com/davidsphotoblog777

ottonis's gear list:ottonis's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Sony Alpha a7 II Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Voigtlander 40mm F1.4 Nokton Classic +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
bzx
ET2
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow