I want medium format!

Started Aug 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
GodSpeaks
GodSpeaks Forum Pro • Posts: 13,517
Re: I want medium format!

stevo23 wrote:

I don't think so. It's a great camera - no doubt. But full medium format, especially full 6x7 is considerably nicer looking. I've seen a scad of D800 images and it's clearly the best thing out there in 35mm. But ti's not quite medium format.

No, it's actually better than medium format digital.

It is smaller, lighter, easier to handle, better overall performance (AF/fps/write speeds, etc.) and the images will easily beat MF film and compete directly with MFD images.

On top of all that, it will cost only a fraction of what an MFD camera would cost.

I would add to that, in case you missed my earlier post, that I have owned a lot of medium format film cameras, and a medium format digital camera.  I actually sold off my MFD system to go with the D800E.

Do you seriously think I would have done that if I thought the images from the D800E were in any way  inferiour to the MFD?

As an aside, most MFD sensors are considerably smaller than the film they are replacing.  Even smaller than a 645 frame.  The MFD I owned had a sensor twice as large as a 35mm frame.  It was 48x36mm (short of the 56x41.5mm 645 image area), and was/is one of the largerest MFD sensors around.  Most MFD sensors were even smaller.

There never was, and most likely, never will be a 6x7 MFD sensor.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'
- Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Panasonic FZ1000 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Nikon D800E Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +49 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
hdr
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow