A pessimist's take on the new Sony lenses

Started Aug 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
sean lancaster
sean lancaster Veteran Member • Posts: 7,248
Re: A pessimist's take on the new Sony lenses

TiagoReil wrote:

At that size, why dont you just get a DSLT? There are some that are relatively small. Not nex small, but relatively small for a DSLR.

Remember that the size of this lens on a enx will be bigger. REmember the registration distance, and that it wil be larger. That half of the body you see there, is not in the nex, and you need to extend the lens to make it work correctly. So you will end wit a pretty long and wide lens for the nex. Get one of the smaller DSLTs and be happy.

I have a 6D and use my 5N as my backup camera. But I also have a number of legacy lenses (e.g., Canon FDn 50/1.4, Contax G 90/2.8, etc.) that I enjoy shooting from time to time. Much of the time, I have a Rokinon 8/2.8 fisheye lens on my 5N and I think it's about the sharpest fisheye lens available on any system (perhaps the sharpest Emount lens available as well). So, why don't I get a DSLT? Because I love my 5N for what it does do. But I just sold my Zeiss 24/1.8 and that was on my 5N 90% of the time. After selling it (since I wasn't using that system much), I realized I don't really have a go to lens for regular shots any more - at least not AF. So, a zoom like the Sigma would appeal to me on my 5N. But to address your point, I am not unhappy; I just want to make my 5N more useful at some point. That being said, I have yet to go a single place since April where I couldn't take my 6D or where I felt burdened to carry it even with the Sigma 35/1.4 (which is large) attached. Plus, I am also speaking for me using my 5N prior to having the 6D.

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha a7R II Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
bzx
ET2
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow