I want medium format!

Started Aug 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
OP stevo23 Forum Pro • Posts: 19,526
Re: I want medium format!

ultimitsu wrote:

stevo23 wrote:

ultimitsu wrote:

stevo23 wrote:

...may or may not yield better results than a D800.

I just have one question, what about D800 that you find to be limiting and need a Medium Format to solve?

I'm not trying to solve anything. It's a dream, and perhaps a lament. It's not serious. I'm guessing you didn't grow up with large or medium format film? There's no question that it was gorgeous - way more so than 35mm.

The only reason you have this lust over MF is because it produced better image than 35mm did, and it only did so because it was bigger.

But today's D800 easily produces image as good or better than MF film. Si I really dont understand what is there that you think is missing.

I don't think so. It's a great camera - no doubt. But full medium format, especially full 6x7 is considerably nicer looking. I've seen a scad of D800 images and it's clearly the best thing out there in 35mm. But ti's not quite medium format.

Just the basics - no fancy scene modes or any of that useless stuff. Just simple, high DR, high resolution images.

Come on! Why not?

the less software features you include the more expensive the camera get.

? So adding more features, thus code, and thus more code writing time into your development budget makes the camera cheaper? What do you mean?

Because all these features are already written and cost nothing to add into the firmware. But removing them would reduce sales and thus volume and thus decrease economy of scale. If you look at existing cameras, those without "scene mode" are always the most expensive.

But someone wrote them and charged for them. Cameras without scene mode aren't more expensive because they're missing software/firmware features. It's because there are other useful features in them and pros don't need scene mode, they need other features that actually do cost more. And because they're pro level cameras made of better material with bigger sensors etc.

stevo23's gear list:stevo23's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
hdr
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow