RAW Troublemaker Again

Started Aug 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
stevo23 Forum Pro • Posts: 19,519
Re: Excellent example, stevo23. For years I stuck to...

Alan_S wrote:

...jpg-only, but reading many similar threads like this one intrigued me. During a June 2010 trip to Yellowstone National Park I decided to give RAW+JPG a try, to see if RAW would work for me. This is the shot that convinced me (and I've posted it a few times before, "bear" with me if you've already seen it ). Happened upon this rare close/safe opportunity at about 30 meters, with the 70-400G mounted to my brand new a850, on a monopod. Shooting wide open f/5.6 on a dark, cloudy, misty, morning I had to bump the ISO up to 1600 to muster a shutter speed of 1/320 @ 400mm. This is a 100% view of the OOC jpg + the image I was able to process from the same RAW file.

Left: OOC JPG ... Right: processed from RAW in ACR & Photoshop

Have conducted repeated similar comparisons, and repeat the process with the acquisition of each new camera body (a55, a77, a99), always with the same results.

And clearly this small image gives only a fraction of what you personally see. Thanks for the post!

stevo23's gear list:stevo23's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tom
tom
(unknown member)
tom
tom
tom
tko
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow