A pessimist's take on the new Sony lenses

Started Aug 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
Alohaman Contributing Member • Posts: 576
Re: A pessimist's take on the new Sony lenses

I've had a Canon EF-S 17-55/2.8 zoom on Rebels and a EF 24-105/4.0 on a 5D2.  Both zooms have image stabilization.  The EF lens is slightly bigger than the EF-S lens.  Although "only" f4, the 24-105 was better in low light/higher ISO because it was usually attached to the 5D2.

My point (made by others in this and other forums) is that, with the ever improving low light capability of new sensors, f4.0 will be sufficient IF YOU WANT A SMALL LENS.  I can attach the f2.8 Canon zoom to my NEX, but the combo will be huge.  The NEX with the new Zeiss 16-70/4 is about the right small size, but maybe not the right price.

If you want high quality low f stop small lenses, you need to give up image stabilization, autofocus, zoom and, most likely, low price: for example, "all manual" Leica, Zeiss and Voigtlander.

Alohaman's gear list:Alohaman's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
bzx
ET2
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow