MPE-65mm macro lens

Started Jul 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
Victor Engel Forum Pro • Posts: 17,743
Re: MPE-65mm macro lens

M Stewart wrote:

John K wrote:

There are a few ways to get above life size, but none more convenient than Canon's MPE-65mm macro. No infinity focus, and no auto focus (the focus indicator lights in the view finder do not work with this lens).

An excellent set. Makes me wonder whether to buy a copy for myself.

I'm a little surprised that the viewfinder lights don't work - they do with my TS-E lenses, until I get them a long way shifted.

I've never noticed that before. I have to say, though, I'm rather glad they don't. They'd be mostly useless. When using this lens, I'm always concentrating on the focus on the ground glass.

One of the things on my to-do list is to rig my hood (yes, I got a hood for this lens) with LED lights. The main purpose would be for focusing, not for illuminating the final picture.

Most recently, for example, I took pictures of some sleeping long-horned bees. I had to use a flashlight to see what I was doing. LEDs in the hood would have been way more convenient.

While I'm at it, I'll see if I can make a lens cap for the hood.

-- hide signature --

Victor Engel

Victor Engel's gear list:Victor Engel's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 5DS Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow