The mystery of Apple against 10-bit graphics

Started Aug 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Chris Mak Senior Member • Posts: 2,584
The mystery of Apple against 10-bit graphics

Well, mavericks is about to be released, the new Mac pro is here, and still not the remotest sign of 10-bit color support on the Mac. The latest mid class monitors, like the Eizo GC223W that I use myself (already a few years old), all support 10-bit color, and it is slowly advancing in the professional graphics world as the new standard for serious image, 3D and video editing. I use a mid 2011 Macbook pro with the Eizo on the thunderbolt port, and I know I will need a new computer in time, should I want to use the 10-bit color option, which should have noticeable benefits especially in calibrating with e.g. the latest i1 display pro.

Apart from whether you fancy 10-bit color or not, the hardware is there, and on the Windows side, so is the software, windows 7/8 both support 10-bit color. The nVidia quadro k600 is very affordable and has 10-bit color output. But where is Apple? What about the Mac being the best option for graphic designers/professionals and serious amateurs? Is Apple anno 2013 so much concerned with selling as many Iphones or Ipads as possible, that they don't have time to comply to the latest professional standards in the graphics world anymore? Or have they decided to just leave that to the windows powered workstation? You can build a véry decent workstation or buy a HP 220 for around 1300,- euros. It will have top-notch graphics, whereas my 2500,- euro Macbook pro with mountain lion is a color management mess with a wide gamut high end screen, and no prospect on 10-bit support for upcoming replacement Mac's. So much for Apple's "pro" image.

Any thoughts on this mystery?

Chris

Chris Mak's gear list:Chris Mak's gear list
Sony a7R II Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III Zeiss Loxia 25mm F2.4 Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
mpe
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow