Teleconverter magnification comparison. (5 imgs)

Started Aug 25, 2013 | Photos thread
DaveJC
DaveJC Senior Member • Posts: 1,863
Re: Dave...

brandrx wrote:

DaveJC wrote:

Hi Ron,

I have the Pentax AFA 1.7 TC and just picked up the F* 300 f4.5. Anty tips on getting the most from the pair.

After you start using it you will find that prefocusing to a range for what you intend to shoot at will probably be faster than prefocusing to near focus first. For example: Setting your lens at about 20 or 30 feet on the lens for when you are shooting at small birds that have landed. Or setting the lens at 50 to 70 feet if you are shooting at BIF's. Of course high flying eagles and such you might have to set it to 100 feet or so.

Amazing, I have been using that TC with my Tamron Adaptall 400mm f4 and never thought to prefocus. That makes sense. I would be coming from a near object to a far one and racking the focus manually while looking through the lens to get in range. This makes so much more sense.

Is there a preferred TC that will still let the lens AF with minimum IQ loss.

I prefer the Tamro-F 1.4X Pz_Af or the Kenko 1.5X Pz_Af. However, to save a bunch of money you can pruchase a new Vivitar Series 1 1.4X TC for around US $100. The IQ is not noticiably that much different IMO.

I bought the lens from group member Fleafly who recommended a Sigma over the Kenko. IQ is the main thing for me. Birds are small enough to start with so the better IQ is worth the price for me. Also waiting for a used IIs to come into my price range. Should not be too long after September announcements.

Any 2x TC that is worth the trouble gets unit down used.

I recommend that you just stay away from any 2X TC's with that lens.

Kind of thought so but doesn't hurt to ask.

A lot of questions but your answers or anyone else's will be appreciated.

So, there you go.

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'
'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

Thanks,  Dave

-- hide signature --

DaveJC

DaveJC's gear list:DaveJC's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm GFX 50R
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow