Teleconverter magnification comparison. (5 imgs)

Started Aug 25, 2013 | Photos thread
OP brandrx Forum Pro • Posts: 28,337
Klaus...

Nicols wrote:

Thank's Ron.

I just measured the scale increase on your photos:

Tamron: 1.386

Kenko: 1.382

Promaster: 1.532

Pentax: 1.748

(measured on screen with a tape; precision is less then the 3 digits show; should be about 2 digits; the difference between the Tamron and Kenko is not significant).

Those numbers fall pretty much in line with what Greyser had previously come up with.

My idea in the OP was just to show a simple visualization. I will still think of the Tamron and Kenko as being 1.4X, and the Pentax-F 1.7X AF Adapter as being 1.7X. However, I will now think of the Promaster Spectrum 7 1.7X as being a 1.5X teleconverter.

BTW: If it were not for the painted markings on the teleconverters, you could not visually see any difference between the Vivitar Series 1 1.4X, Tanron-F 1.4X Pz_AF, Kenko 1.5X Pz_AF, and Promaster Spectrum 7 1.7X Pz_AF. The only difference that I can see is that the Promaster 1.7X rear element is 25mm and all of the others are 27mm.

It is strange: just tested again: my Kenko "Pz-Af TELEPLUS 1.5x SHQ" gives me 1.57x (measured with the Pentax F 100/2.8 macro, at more then 500m of distance). It seems that there has been more then one version of this TC.

I think that my Kenko and your Kenko would have to be tested at the same distance and with the same lens before you can make a conclusion like that. My shot was at a subject distance of about 75 feet (23 meters).

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'
'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow