Pouring fuel on the fire?...

Started Aug 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
Rriley
Rriley Forum Pro • Posts: 21,846
Re: Sort of a mistranslation

windsprite wrote:

Snowbird_UT wrote:

The Google Translation made it sound as if there was special sauce in the E-P5 algorithms? I'll wait for the EM1 testing to come out before contemplating a purchase but I don't expect anything extraordinary. That's to say, I don't expect to be giving up my dSLR anytime soon.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Snowbird_UT

The Google translation is a little off. It says "Four Thirds lens was faster secretly." The original is こっそりとフォーサーズレンズのAFが速くなっていた, which means more that they sneakily improved the AF while we weren't looking, and hardly anybody noticed.

From a quick skimming of the original article, it sounds like hardly anybody noticed because ... it's not that much of an improvement. They say it's wrong to expect fast focus with PDAF lenses on CDAF cameras to begin with, so we should be happy with any change that makes the AF less annoying.

Julie

if you went all the way to the last video
its an improvement in the sense of 'electricity' or 'pump up tyres' are 'improvements'

pdAF would make an improvement on that too

BTW: thanks for the translation

-- hide signature --

Riley
any similarity to persons living or dead is coincidental and unintended
support 1022 Sunday Scapes'

Rriley's gear list:Rriley's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow