What's my RX1 worth ?

Started Aug 23, 2013 | Questions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
mcshan Veteran Member • Posts: 3,741
DF....an update

Hi DF,  Hope you see this post.  I have been struggling a bit the first week with the RX1R.  Starting yesterday I began shooting RAW. The first week was basically this pattern: jpeg, pp in LR, and maybe adjust post lightroom with Zoombrowser on basic brightness/contrast.  I got some good shots at least I was pleased, especially in black and white which in touched up in using Nik. I found myself turning down sharpness, detail.

I read on another thread that Photo Ninja was a solid program to work with RAW on. I thought I would try it simply based on the speed aspect (especially compared to the Sony program). Photo Ninja was only $79 as I already had Noise Ninja.

I can report to you that my enjoyment of the RX1R has gone way up. Just figuring my way around the RAW I shot yesterday and today and I am doing pretty good with the Ninja program. I will get even better with more than one day's use of it. You are correct...in RAW I have tweaked detail/sharpness etc. and am now VERY pleased with the photos (mostly stuff around the city...not art but merely shots to try out with Ninja).  I now love my RX1R and will get better. Just think: I have had a new camera for just a week AND one day with a new RAW program and I am really pleased. The stuff I tweaked today doesn't seem nearly as sharp and I will get even better at delivering the more creamy texture I have always liked.

I'm sure the RX1 is great and a fine camera but should you jump to the R edition (I'm staying out of the money aspect as I have no clue what you will get for your RX!) I am certain you can make it deliver the photos that match your taste and style.   Sorry so long a post but I wanted to update you.

By the way, I still intend to shoot mostly jpeg but it is good to know that the camera really sings shooting RAW.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do.

mcshan's gear list:mcshan's gear list
Kodak DC200
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow