Your favourite legacy lens not quite up to it any more?

Started Aug 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
jeffharris
jeffharris Veteran Member • Posts: 8,757
Re: Your favourite legacy lens not quite up to it any more?

tamras29 wrote:

I have been disappointed with my Canon FD 50 f1.8 & FD 70-210 f4 zoom on my OM-D - both totally blown away IQ wise by the Oly 45mm and the Oly 40-150. I suppose I was expecting more from the old boys. OK - I know I'm not comparing with Leica/Zeiss but I was surprised.

Which of your old lenses do surpass your expectations?

It really depends on the lens. I see and use manual lenses because I like the feel and the process of shooting all-manual, all in M mode, too. AF is great for casual shooting, but it doesn't feel the same. Many manual and adapted manual lenses can produce images with very special qualities, call it character, it's not an insult.

When buying them, I'm very careful in my choice of used manual lenses and generally go for highly rated Nikon AI-S lenses. New manual lenses are all Voigtländers, either native M4/3 or adapted Leica mount rangefinders.

The Nikon 105mm f2.8 AI-S macro is a fantastic lens. I use it for macro and telephoto and absolutely love the image quality and handling. It's one of 8 manual lenses Nikon still makes and can be special ordered. There's nothing like it for M4/3, so there are no expectations to be surpassed.

Another lens I love is a Pentax 50mm f1.4 SMC Takumar I inherited a few years ago. It's supposedly a classic, but produces gorgeous color and is very sharp when stopped down a bit. Buying one used at KEH, they go for around $150.

Good ain't necessarily cheap!

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +28 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow