Nikon 1: Do Nikon listen to their customers?

Started Aug 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
olyflyer
olyflyer Forum Pro • Posts: 24,195
Re: Nikon 1: Do Nikon listen to their customers?

blank_ wrote:

Brian Caslis wrote:

blank_ wrote:

image review is a pain, almost as silly as no quick iso change. I could live with that just using manual and autoiso, but nikon (from some reason, which is beyond me) decided not to show actual iso in auto iso mode.

these irritating things actually make the V2 so much more useful, it makes me think nikon crippled v1 on purpose, not to compete with V2, which followed soon.

While I do think Nikon should add firmware changes to the V1 has many want here, I wonder how many here have experience with what is possible in firmware. I'm a hardware engineer by training but have worked mostly with software and firmware in practice. Often there are hardware decisions that prevent what would appear to be small firmware fixes to be done. A smaller memory buffer or fixed register size can easily prevent a feature from being changed.

I have no idea what the case is for the V1. But it's easily possible that the V1 image review is tied to some hardware specific implementation that prevents it from being turned off. The V2 has a lot more hardware changes than all the review seem to imply. After trying one and reading more about it, it's not the same under the hood that most of these reviews seem to say. It's possible the ability to turn off image review is tied to one of the hardware changes, not just firmware. Do any of the other 1 series cameras allow image review to be turned off? Just something to think about.

you made some interesting points, but V1 can actually shoot stills without review in video mode.

In Movie mode the camera takes an image grab, grabbing a 16:9 JPEG image. The number of grabs are also limited to 20 in the same video footage. That's not the same taking a 10MP raw image in 3:2, which is what happens when you take an image in normal still image mode. So no, the V1 can NOT shoot stills in movie mode, that's just an internet hoax. I wish people actually read the manual...

As for Nikon listening to their customers, the V2 I think is the only one to have the ability to turn off image review. It's likely also their worst selling 1 camera. What message do you think this is sending to Nikon?

It's hard to sell it at that price, especially since V1 is still available 4x cheaper

Has nothing to do with it. It's a totally different camera, much better in many ways than the V1 is, so of course it is more expensive. Besides, the V1 may be available where you live, but it has been phased out a long time ago where I live.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
IVN
IVN
IVN
MOD Marti58
IVN
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow