All Nikon VR lens - good advice given

Started Aug 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
OP Rockwallaby Regular Member • Posts: 480
Then why have an ON - OFF switch?

Lance,

The service guy did tell me that by leaving the lens with the VR swich set to on when the camera is turned off, the lens will not put the VR mechanism into it's correct parked position, leaving it in the operating position.

He showed me the VR mechanism and it certainly is very wobbly/loose indeed.  He also said that leaving it in the on position may not cause a problem in itself but the lens is left in a state that is more vulnerable to becoming damaged, particularly when the lens is removed from the camera.

For instance, you may well look after your lens when you handle it during the decoupling process and placement in your protective backpack.  But then you take a long hike with your backpack.  Every step you take has the potential of inducing motion into the "very wobbly" VR mechanism.  If the VR had been turned off, the VR mechanism is placed in the parked position so that the "wobbly" bits are secured.

I ask you, why would the VR lens designers put an ON-OFF switch on the lens if the VR is correctly parked just by turning the camera off.  There is no way the designers would add the complication and cost to provide it if it was not needed.

The service guy did say that failures of the VR mechanism were not common but did happen and most owners were not aware of the need to turnoff/correctly park the VR feature.  The fact that he had the VR mechanism at hand to demonstrate to customers like me of what can cause failures was very positive but it also indicates to me that they see VR failures often enough to have the parts readily available to demonstrate.

Having just spent AU$800 on getting my well cared for 70-200 repaired, I will gladly follow any advice provided to ensure I don't have any further failures.  If others don't wan't to take up that advice, then that is up to them.

Cheers,

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow