Nikon 1: Do Nikon listen to their customers?

Started Aug 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
rb0321
rb0321 Senior Member • Posts: 2,063
Re: Nikon 1: Do Nikon listen to their customers?

Photo Pete wrote:

olyflyer wrote:

KSPGM wrote:

There is a long thread on this Forum about why Nikon 1...

Whatever is said on this, or other forums is not something Nikon care about. There is just too much BS going on all over, so they don't have the time and the resources to follow that up, filter out the carp and document the useful stuff. If you want to make your voice heard by them you have to send them a mail. They will definitely read that and answer. That does not mean that they will do as you want.

Even if all the 130 posts in that thread would have been posted by 130 individuals and they all would agree on the exact same things that would only be a tiny drop in a huge sea, so for Nikon it would not make much of a difference.

I think some people overestimate our importance in the world...

That last sentence says it all, unfortunately.

Nikon obviously refused to put out a V1 firmware fix for the 'handful' of enthusiasts (of which we are part) no matter how far and wide we've been clamoring for it. It's possible the next 'big fix' will be the V3, unless they've already pulled the plug on it to cut their losses.

The problem with adding new features in the firmware as opposed to fixing bugs is that the user manual would also need re-writing and distributing (probably by download with the firmware upgrade). That is just hassle for Nikon and for many users who aren't as dedicated as the users on this forum. I would go so far as to guess the majority of Nikon 1 users wouldn't even bother with an upgrade, if they even knew one was available.

Nikon also believe that updating existing cameras will eat into the sales of new models and take technical resource away from developing new models. It is a bit like Adobe's reasons for going creative cloud. They only want to develop and support the latest product and to make sure that their customers pay for a comprehensive upgrade rather than just the rectification of obvious shortcomings.

That's the argument against. Personally I think Nikon would benefit immeasurably by showing commitment to existing users by providing upgrades. To my mind they could even charge for upgrades which contain new features, if that is what is deterring them.
--
Have Fun
Photo Pete

Yes, good point, a significant firmware 'upgrade' (not just a bug fix) would require a manual rewrite. That it will cut into sales of new models is certainly a concern, but I too would be willing to pay (at least a 'reasonable' fee) for such a firmware 'fix'.

Seems it would go a long way toward customer loyalty, although loyalty in the consumer environment may be pretty low. If someone were to come along and offer a better product for less money, along with excellent customer support, you'd see people jumping like rats from a burning ship.

rb0321's gear list:rb0321's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
IVN
IVN
IVN
MOD Marti58
IVN
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow