* Wed C&C (No Theme) Thread, Ed. 278, 13 08 21 *

Started Aug 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
Zindanfel
Zindanfel Veteran Member • Posts: 9,228
Re: Sun sets somewhere beyond the shrubs

Fixxxer wrote:

Shot in Hamra fjäll in west Härjedalen, Sweden. I had about half an hour of sun set at this location to experiment with and tried all kinds of compositions behind trees, sign, shrubberies and my brother as well as in plain sight, high, low and everything. This is one of the many angles I took. What do you think?

E-620 with Zuiko 35mm 3.5

Sun reaches up to catch the clouds, grasses strive for sky and last rays -- for me this picture is aspirational/inspirational; it is about Uplift.

In order to support that theme, I would strengthen vertical emphasis established in the grass stalks, by cropping away much of the right side where few tall grasses occur. This crop has the added benefit of eliminating a metaphorical "downer," the dark clouds.

I also trimmed a sliver from the left so as to obtain a square crop. Square is solid, confident, and optimistic -- all qualities consistent with Uplift.

A sub-theme of this very attractive photograph is the subtle relationship in which earth and sun bring forth growth/life.

Nothing done to the revision below except the crop. I'll remove it from my dpr gallery upon request, or before next week's C&C thread.

-- hide signature --

Zin

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow