Nikon 1: Do Nikon listen to their customers?

Started Aug 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
IVN Senior Member • Posts: 1,888
Re: Nikon 1: Do Nikon listen to their customers?

SunnyFlorida wrote:

IVN wrote:

SunnyFlorida wrote:

KSPGM wrote:

There is a long thread on this Forum about why Nikon 1 is failing - over 130 posts so far. Question is 'Do Nikon listen?' and if so 'To whom do they listen?

Short answer is NO, I don't even think they include Nikon users in the research groups

Before the Nikon 1 camera was released I don't recall reading a single thread where Nikon users were clamoring for a tiny 1" sensorinstead of their award winning APS-C sensors or clamoring for an incompatible accessory port instead of a standard hot shoe. So since their customers weren't asking for it, Nikon decided to give it to them anyways

But Nikon works in their own way, 10 years after DX they've yest to release a w/a DX prime , or update their 24mm F/2.8, 28mm F/2.8 primes with AF-S versions

In most cases consumers don't know what they want. As a manufacturer you have to predict what they might want.

IVN

Before the Nikon 1 sensor was released, Nikon consumers were overwhelmingly happy with the performances of APS-C sized sensors and Nikon cameras were consistently receiving the highest ratings from respected review sites, I'm pretty sure that conusmers knew what they wanted, it was an APS-C sensor MILC instead of an unproven new sensor.

Would you please stop that? The aptina sensor has it's flaws, like any other technical device let alone sensor, but also it's strengths. Your bashing of the sensor was old several months ago.

And one more thing for you to consider: "Nikon users" are only a small fraction of the market. With the N1 Nikon was aiming at the far bigger slice of the pie.

Also I would guess that if you ask 100 nikon users if they would like their SB-400, SB-600, SB-900, SU-4 or CLS to be compatible with the 1-system, 99 of them will say yes, so this theory that Nikon users do not know what they want doesn't seem very plausible.

We were talking about the sensor. And as I have stated, it is not the problem. I too think that there should be an adopter which makes the cameras compatible with the big flashlights. I, however, am not categorically against the new flash shoe. It saves real estate on the small cameras, and has contacts for interesting addons which could come in the future.

Do you think that designers/managers at Apple have asked people whether they would want a gigantic phone, with poor battery life and no buttons, but with internet access, camera and MP3? What do you think ppl at that time, knowing only traditional Nokia, Ericsson and Co mobile phones, would have said to that?

IVN, you're comparing Apples to Potatoes, Apple created a whole new market segment by INTEGRATING their I-Pod and Phone together, eve-though they knew that doing so would cause a huge drop in their I-Pod only sales.

That is not entirely correct. The iPhone is much more than iPod+Phone. Apple was clearly aiming at people who not only want music on the way, but don't want to carry an additional device with their phone, but also at tech savvy people, as well as noobs who only know facebook and youtube, and think that's the whole internet. They were essentially expanding the market of mobile phones, by integrating features found on other devices (MP3 players, Notebooks, etc).

And Nikon was doing a similar thing with the N1.

They wanted the size to be manageable for people who only knew compact cameras. Obviously much of the size and weight comes from the lenses, not the camera. There is a limit on how small you can make a camera before handling and usability start to suffer. For smaller lenses you need a smaller sensor. Nikon was not concerned with the IQ as much, because 1" would be a serious upgrade for these users.

Nikon wanted the cameras and lenses to be user friendly, that's why most of them have no focus ring and non of them has an aperture ring. And that's also why N1 cameras have so much number crunching power under the hood. Your average Joe doesn't want to wait, and he doesn't want to learn a single thing. Therefore precise WB, fast AF and burst, and those gimmicky features (best shot and what not) were implemented.

Some of these features however do not only benefit the beginner. Experienced photogs value fast speed of operation and a long lasting battery. They also value the reach, which the crop factor provides, and some users value the video features, which can not be found on any other mirrorless or DSLR camera on the market (expending the market just like Apple with the iPhone). 4k RAW, super slow-mo, seriously good AF during video with pretty good subject tracking.

Clearly, Nikon was not only trying to protect it's DSLR sales, but to expand the market and offer something entirely unique.

Nikon is SEGREGATING, the 1-system by not allowing users to integrate excellent speedlights (SB-400, SB-700, etc) and by offering a lower IQ sensor as to not hurt their D-SLR sales, BIG difference.

Before seeing it in action, they would have probably thought that it is a nonsensical idea.

1" has potential, sensor size is not the problem.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
IVN
IVN
IVN
MOD Marti58
IVN
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow