Pentax WG-3 vs Olympus TG-3 - movie limitations
I'm in the market for a rugged camera to take caving (note - wet, dirty, gets knocked, low light). Camera use will be stills and movies.
So far I've narrowed it down to Pentax WG-3 and Olympus TG-2. But both seem to have their problems and neither seems to be even remotely close to perfect
Photo quality has been reviewed quite deeply in DPR as well as other sites but no one seems to review movie mode properly. For example:
1a. What's the wide angle for movie mode in the Pentax and Olympus? Is it the same as photo mode?
1b. If Pentax uses software NR for video this should come at the expense of wide angle - so it's not going to be 25 at the wide end, right?
2. Olympus has the choppy video probably resulting from hardware NR. Has anyone experienced this with the pentax software NR?
3. Is the video output of the pentax limited to 25 minutes at all resolutions (even the lower ones) or is it simply the 4Gb file limitation?
4. Is it 1080p or 1080i at 30fps?
Other issues in general:
1. How bad is the low light focusing in the pentax? Does it eventualy focus or simply give up and default to something?
2. Tripod mount is at the far end on the pentax, properly centered on the olympus
Answers will be most welcome. I am leaning towards the pentax (as a result of having a w20 for many many years of service - still works)
|Post (hide subjects)||Posted by||When|
|Aug 21, 2013|
|Sep 5, 2013|
|Sep 5, 2013|
|Sep 6, 2013|
|Sep 8, 2013|
- Canon EOS M58.8%
- Panasonic G85/G803.3%
- Panasonic FZ2500/FZ20001.9%
- Panasonic LX10/LX151.2%
- Panasonic GH5 development3.6%
- Sony a99 II15.9%
- Nikon KeyMission 170 and 801.0%
- Fujifilm GFX 50S development28.3%
- Olympus E-M1 II development18.7%
- Olympus E-PL80.1%
- Olympus 25mm F1.2 Pro1.5%
- Olympus 12-100mm F4 IS Pro1.9%
- Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro0.1%
- Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art3.6%
- Sigma 12-24mm F4 Art2.6%
- Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport2.4%
- YI M12.2%
- GoPro Hero50.8%
- GoPro Karma drone2.2%