* Wed C&C (No Theme) Thread, Ed. 278, 13 08 21 *

Started Aug 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
Zindanfel
Zindanfel Veteran Member • Posts: 9,106
Re: The Old Blue And White

OlyChamp wrote:

I entered this image in the recent Transformation challenge and had one comment that was helpful but impossible to fulfil. Why I chose to enter this was purely down to the unique view of the Turbine and the stark White and Blue contrasts (E620 14-42).

I think folks might have wanted more of the turbine in shot but that's not practical as they are so huge (75 metre towers 35 metre blades) and besides from an artistic viewpoint it's been done before. Anyhow, yours now.

-- hide signature --

"I take photographs, if you want them back see my lawyer!!"
E500, 14-45mm, 40-150mm, 70-300mm, E620, 14-42mm, 40-150mm.

Mario's comments on the angle and potential for motion blur are on point.

You've described some constraints of shooting location. I think you might be able to mitigate those somewhat. "More turbine in the shot" is accomplished after a fashion by cropping down to a place where the machine occupies more relative space. This helps evoke the massive size of the beast, and anyway those blade tips aren't so necessary to make the "turbine" statement.

Then, to simulate a sense of motion, just tip the structure over to a more diagonal "active" angle. Since there are no other elements in the picture to create dissonance, you have free license with this.

Below is my play with your shot. I'll remove it from my gallery before next C&C. I added a white line border to neaten up. All PP in Photoscape.

-- hide signature --

Zin

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow