* Wed C&C (No Theme) Thread, Ed. 278, 13 08 21 *

Started Aug 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
OlyChamp
OlyChamp Veteran Member • Posts: 4,451
Re: * Wed C&C (No Theme) Thread, Ed. 278, 13 08 21 *

minniev wrote:

Here's a problem picture taken this morning off Cumberland Island, GA. The horizon is in the middle, the subject is in the middle, if I straighten it, it looks crooked and if I don't it still looks crooked. Too contrasty. What else? Any helpful hints also appreciated.

I guess what you need is a subject for the shot.  By your inference you are stating that maybe the horizon is the key, or the boat being straight?  Is it the sky and cloud reflection?

As I see it the horizon is fine.  I guess it looks a little skewered by the headland in the near image, so don't fret there.  The yacht stands out but doesn't overpower.  It's placement though is a little unsettling purely on the basis it is central.  My gut feeling is that the real stars in this image share top billing.  The trees far left, the yacht, the clouds juxtaposed to a nice blue sky and the reflections.  How to fix your issues?

I'd crop out the unnecessary.  Crop out the sky above the cloud (not all) crop out the far right detail thus drawing the yacht to the 2/3 line in the image and eradicating horizon issues, and crop foreground water (yeah I know it's the cloud/sky reflection) but in so doing the yacht's mast reflection takes centre stage.  I have done a crop as such for your reference should you wish to see what I am on about.

Hope this helps

Thane

-- hide signature --

"I take photographs, if you want them back see my lawyer!!"
E500, 14-45mm, 40-150mm, 70-300mm, E620, 14-42mm, 40-150mm.

OlyChamp's gear list:OlyChamp's gear list
Olympus E-500 Olympus E-620 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow