Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 II (H-H020A) - Banding

Started Aug 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
Anders W Forum Pro • Posts: 21,468
Re: Could Panasonic use different wires?

Henry Richardson wrote:

Anders W wrote:

Henry Richardson wrote:

If the flat wiring is the culprit does that mean that if Panasonic used different/better wires the problem would probably fixed?

Neither I nor tsi think it is necessarily the wires per se. However, connecting and disconnecting the wires and thereby the components they are attached to alters the interference that may result from these components per se as well as from the load they place on the voltage regulator on the PCB.

Or, some other not so difficult fix? If so, why do you think Panasonic has not fixed this problem in either the original 20mm (the one I bought last year) or the new one?

That's a so-called good question. I would think (without knowing for sure) that there is a rather easy fix for this, e.g., a new and better voltage regulator on the PCB (change of PCB) and/or a new and better AF motor or aperture actuator. I think this is something Panasonic should have offered for owners of the original 20 who experienced the problem (probably only a minority would have bothered to send the lens in so it would probably not have been a major expense). And I am very disappointed by the fact that they haven't fixed this on version II even if all other changes are purely cosmetic.

Thank you for the reply. Now that all the Olympus cameras have the 16mp sensor and all the Panasonic cameras have a 16mp sensor then it is very disappointing to me that Panasonic has not fixed this lens. I suppose banding can appear with all the current bodies. The whole situation sort of boggles the mind. More and more bodies have problems with the lens and then Panasonic comes out with a new version that has the same problem.

Yes, it's weird all right. As to bodies affected, the problem is known to be there with all current Oly bodies and the GH3. Other current Pany bodies are unaffected. While they too are 16 MP, they don't have the same, presumably Sony-made, 16 MP sensor of the current Olys and the GH3. Remains to be seen about the GX7 and the E-M1.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +28 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow