(1dx) Best way to use flash in Av mode?

Started Aug 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 1,378
Re: (1dx) Best way to use flash in Av mode?

keithop wrote:

Hi

Apologies if this is a simple (atupid) question but it's confusing me at the moment.

1DX on Av mode. Aperture set to 1.4, fine, 580exII in ettl mode.

Just experimenting indoors to get familiar with the flash system and with the flash direct, all I get are hopelessly over exposed images.

I'd simply have expected the camera to work the shutter speed, iso and flash output to get the exposure reasonably ok but it seems to put the iso at 400, shutter speed not particularly fast (sometimes 1/25) and over expose :/

I've reset all camera settings to make sure I'm not doing something silly so I must be missing something ?

Thanks for any ideas

Hi Keithop

With the 1Dx set to AV mode, the ISO should only change when you change it, unless you are in ISO (A) mode.

Shutter speed is linked to the aperture setting, in AV mode.

When you add a Canon flash, and decrease the aperture setting in AV mode, the shutter speed will increase until it reaches the maximum allow by the flash, and go no further.

What you are described is happening with the ISO in AV Mode should not be possible with the 1Dx.

Suggest you send the 1Dx in for evaluation/repair.

Walter Sr

-- hide signature --

I am out to take the perfect picture, if it exits!

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow