Is Nikon 24-120 F4 a compromise or soft option?

Started Aug 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Stewart McKInlay Regular Member • Posts: 261
Is Nikon 24-120 F4 a compromise or soft option?

I agonized for a while over which lens to buy and the Nikon 24-70 surely was desirable but heavy and expensive.  The Tamron with stabilisation looked great.....and still has huge appeal.  There are stories about the Tamron's compatibility with reported aperture at 2.8 and 3.5. Anyway the focal length range of the 24-120 is perfect for walkabou,t albeit the lens is quite heavy. But but but....so many stories about average performance and edge this and distortion that.  In the end I realised that every zoom lens is a compromise of sorts and I decided that I would rather have the Nikon product than the third party one ( a completely irrational judgement) and bought the Nikon 24-120 F4.

This lens does not disappoint, it is hard to find fault without obsessive nit picking.  I am blown away by the versatility and performance of this lens.  If you are after this kind of focal length then this lens should be on your shortlist!

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow