Any Lightroom 4 alternatives that cost less?

Started May 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
MisterBG Veteran Member • Posts: 6,111
Re: True, and maybe not true....

tex wrote:

MisterBG wrote:

Globemstr3 wrote:

Hey its free open source now and works GREAT for me.--

I've been a long time user and big fan of LightZone (I actually Paid for it!) and whilst it has some unique features, I'm finding highlight recovery in LightRoom to be better.

Maybe not true. I don't have LR 5 yet, but 4 doesn't recover any better than LZ for me at least. If the highlights are blown (or shadows blocked up) at capture, then they're gone. No body has a magic algorithm to recover pixels at level 255. If they're not blown at capture, then I think most programs will allow you to do excellent recovery, including LZ. Two caveats: You need to know the ins and outs of the program, and the raw profile has to be right.

Plus LightRoom has lens correction, which is not yet implemented in LightZone.

True.

We know you are biased towards LightZone.

I tried LZ against each edition of LightRoom as they were released, up to LR3, and LightZone was better every time. However, with LR4 I think Adobe has the edge.
I'm talking about LR4.4 and I'm reluctant to go to LR5 while there are so many bugs.

How do I know if the raw profile is "right"? And when will LZ support my Canon 6D?

I could also add that Lightroom allows me to use third party plug-ins, such as Topaz and OnOne. Will LightZone ever do that?

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
KDM
tex
tex
tex
tex
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow