Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 II (H-H020A) - Banding

Started Aug 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
Anders W Forum Pro • Posts: 21,468
Re: It is in my world

texinwien wrote:

Sosua wrote:

Not in my experience - shooting tea pots at F4 and ISO 6400 then boosting exposure by a stop and cranking contrast to max in lightroom does not happen that often for me.

Shooting my 20mm F1.7 and EM5 in low light however does and i've never seen any banding.

ISO 800, F1.7 and 1/10th of a second sucks in some pretty low light, certainly enough for me.

One of many of my low-light images ruined by the Panny 20mm + the E-M5:

Shoulda had a tripod with, but I hadn't planned on still being up on the mountain this late at night.

It's a real shame Panasonic doesn't seem to have addressed this issue in the new version of this lens. Hard for me to understand how they could go to the trouble of releasing an updated design without taking care of this problem.

Tex! Since that's a very nice image worth "rescuing", have you tried giving it additional NR specifically on the sky? One technique I have been playing with for night shots like this is to mark the sky area by means of the LR brush. There's an auto-mask option for the brush that allows you to follow contours (in this case the mountain ridge) quite precisely without too much work (although it still requires some time). Of course, you'd first try to brush the sky in a rough and approximate way and then check whether additional NR might help. Not worth taking the trouble to match the mountain contour precisely if it doesn't.

FWIW, I have used the technique I describe with some success (to my own mind at least) for night scenes, where the objective was not to reduce banding but simply to get the sky as noise-free as possible, without applying additional NR to the rest of the scene (where I prefer to keep the detail rather than have it washed out by NR). Here's an example. This is at a camera ISO 1600, like yours, but far from ETTR when it comes to exposure. The image I post has a horizontal resolution of about 2000 so isn't full size. I don't really think it holds up at 1:1 but at this display size, I think it works reasonably well.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +28 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow