Started Aug 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
Anders W Forum Pro • Posts: 21,468
Re: Is it possible...

brycesteiner wrote:

tsi wrote:

Anders W wrote:

markintosh13 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

Yes I have seen the innards myself. The spring touches the plastic baffle surrounding the rearmost element at one end and the inner lens barrel at the other end.

Electric interference of one kind or another is of course the likely culprit. I am just not sure the spring has much to do with it.

Not sure it would need to touch, it could be an induction effect.

like a wrapped insulated wire coil around but not touching a magnet

Yes, I realize that's a possibility. I still think it's unlikely that the spring forms enough of a coil to give rise to any induction to speak of together with any electric component in the lens. But as I said in an earlier post in this thread, it's nevertheless something one might want to test for.

This should end the discussion about the spring...

Two images show slightliy defocused images of the spring taken with the old 20/1.7 with spring removed (ISO6400, processing: only white balance).

The first image shows banding Type 1 at f2.8. Its also an example of a photo taken with the 6 wire flex removed.

The second image shows banding Type 3 at f1.7. Its also an example of a photo taken with the 4 wire flex removed.

This image also shows that banding can produce color artifacts. In our previous discussion I doubted that this is possible.

That is a cell tower nearby, bluetooth, wireless, etc,

Tested early on and ruled out.

or IBIS?

Also ruled out since the GH3 has the same problem (recognized in the manual).

Since the Panasonice doesn't have IBIS maybe that is why it's not seen on it?

I've never seen such a thing with my 20mm 1.7 ...yet.

Be happy.

BTW: Those of us concerned with this problem are for the most part very fond of our 20s on other grounds. If I remember correctly, you just mentioned that you never had any problems with its AF speed. Neither did I. See here:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/50877416

-- hide signature --

Make it a Great day!

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +28 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow