As an enthusiast the camera market is depressing.

Started Aug 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
TrapperJohn Forum Pro • Posts: 16,488
The camera market looks great to me

If you look beyond all the crowing by a certain segment that mirrorless shipments dropped by 1-2% more than dslr shipments in a this month vs month a year ago comparison (a sure sign of death, right?), what you find is:

The only mirrorless products that are in real trouble are those from Canon and Nikon. They put out products that just weren't competitive. I attribute their somewhat lackluster showing to entrenched corporate thinking. They will correct that problem in a few years... after the current mirrorless leaders have a few years to develop their systems further.

Otherwise, the choices in the CSC field are great. M43 alone has eight bodies and over 40 native mount lenses.

From my perspective, I see the DSLR market heading towards stagnation. Not there yet, but approaching. MP and ISO are already beyond what most of us can put to practical use, outside of maybe a DPR spec debate. Most of the big leaps in camera tech in the last few years aren't really practical to use on the DSLR design: 5 axis electromagnetic IBIS improves on OIS, but isn't applicable because C/N use OIS, and aren't about to give up that revenue stream. The latest high resolution, lag free, pixelation free EVF's, and all their interesting preview and review modes, aren't applicable outside of the Sony SLT. PDAF on sensor - if you have that, what do you need the mirror for? Can't use PDAF on sensor and the mirror at the same time.

OIS and IBIS on the M43 system - what's wrong with that? You have the ability to choose which you want. You can put OIS lenses on the OMD with it's killer 5 axis IBIS. Just turn off the OIS, or turn off the IBIS. I believe Panasonic went OIS for video, which 2 axis IBIS couldn't handle. The 5 axis IBIS can handle video, a bit better than OIS as it stabilizes in the roll axis. The new Panasonic GX7 has IBIS, so Panasonic isn't so stuck on legacy systems that they can't change.

Superzoom M43? There are two: Panasonic 14-140, and Oly 14-150. Both are small, the 14-150 is tiny for the range it covers. For the very discriminating lens owner, there's also the wicked sharp Pana/Leica 14-150 F2.8+ lens, a superzoom that performs like a bag full of primes. Built for the older 4/3 system but adaptable to M43. Larger, hard to find, expensive, but it remains probably the only superzoom lens to live up to the promise. Sharp at all focal lengths, sharp wide open.

If you look at what's available, the camera market today has more great choices than it has ever had, at better prices that it's ever had. And it's about to get better... OMD-Pro is due out in September, along with at least one new high grade lens.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
T3
T3
T3
(unknown member)
tko
(unknown member)
DrA
DrA
DrA
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow