Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 II (H-H020A) - Banding

Started Aug 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
texinwien Veteran Member • Posts: 3,326
Re: It is in my world

s_grins wrote:

texinwien wrote:

Sosua wrote:

Not in my experience - shooting tea pots at F4 and ISO 6400 then boosting exposure by a stop and cranking contrast to max in lightroom does not happen that often for me.

Shooting my 20mm F1.7 and EM5 in low light however does and i've never seen any banding.

ISO 800, F1.7 and 1/10th of a second sucks in some pretty low light, certainly enough for me.

One of many of my low-light images ruined by the Panny 20mm + the E-M5:

Shoulda had a tripod with, but I hadn't planned on still being up on the mountain this late at night.

It's a real shame Panasonic doesn't seem to have addressed this issue in the new version of this lens. Hard for me to understand how they could go to the trouble of releasing an updated design without taking care of this problem.

Your "very late at night" looks like very good morning. No surprise!

Would you care to clarify? And why are the words "very late at night" in quotation marks? Who are you quoting here? Certainly not me, since I didn't write those words. It appears to me that you're (clumsily) trying to imply that I've lied about the time this photo was taken. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

This photo was taken at 6:47:59 PM (Central European Time) on December 28, 2012 in Naturpark Dobratsch (Villacher Alpe, Kärnten, Österreich), ~100 meters ENE of the Rosstrattenstüberl, where, in the company of my girlfriend and her mom, I'd just finished a delicious Schweinsbraten with Kraut und Knödel, with a half liter of Villacher Bier to wash it down, after having made a short hike up the mountain earlier in the afternoon, during which hike I took 365 photos (on the dot). The timestamp on the first photo I took on the mountain that afternoon is 2:35:06 PM. The timestamp on the last photo I took on the mountain that night is 7:56:10 PM.

Not very late (which, by the way, I never claimed, but you quoted, anyway), but later than we had planned to stay on the mountain, and later than we'd ever stayed on the mountain in the many times we've been up it in the past. Sunset on this date in Austria, in case you were wondering, occurred at around 4:08 PM, so the photo I shared aboev was taken almost exactly 2 hours and 40 minutes after the sun had set.

The reason we stayed up on the mountain so late this evening: the night sky was ice cold, crystal clear and cloudless, and it was also the night of the last full moon of 2012. As you can see in the photo above, the lighting afforded by the full moon in the cloudless winter night was special.

So, s_grins, whatever confused, senile, clumsily-worded, muddle-headed, dementia-addled implication you're trying to make is dead wrong. I don't lie, du Tōdl.

texinwien's gear list:texinwien's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro OnePlus One Canon EOS 300D +20 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow