As an enthusiast the camera market is depressing.

Started Aug 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
Hagane
Hagane Regular Member • Posts: 114
Re: As an enthusiast the camera market is depressing.

John Miles wrote:

The small in the hands, small focal range camera abounds, with countless options available. Why are so few trying to be different if they are already struggling with current sales? There are gaping holes in the camera supply market that are not being explored. Where are the superzoom 4/3's? Where are the full frame compacts? Where is the wealth of 2/3" cameras.

Superzoom 4/3? This would be a big camera as a 1000mm equivalent is still a 500mm lens on 4/3.

Why did Olympus make in body IS and Panasonic in lens IS? Why did they bother agreeing the 4/3" format and then cock that bit up? Somewhere along the line error is building on error to make long term camera ownership a shambles. Who is prepared to commit to a camera system that might not be there next year? How many of us can actually genuinely afford to change entire systems THAT often.

I use a 20mm, 45mm, 75mm on my Panasonic G5 without stabilization and I'm still getting sharp images, maybe I'm doing something wrong...

Stabilization is nice, but not always needed.

The more I look at it the more I can see the poor state the camera market is in. From inclusion of movie potential in camera design to the wasteland that is the manual zoom superzoom market, I have many personal reasons to consider the camera choice before me ZERO. But I am certain that, for whatever reasons, I am not alone in considering the market flooded yet optionless.

I do believe you that you think that there is Zero choice for you. But I'm not agreeing to this "poor state" thing... A few years ago you had P&S, Bridge, DSLR and Leicas... Now there a several mirrorless cameras, the RX1, Bigger sensor compacts like the Nikon A, the RX100 or this Ricoh thingie. Sure, competition from cell phones makes it difficult for the P&S-segment, but I think that the choice today is much better than a few years ago....

Hagane's gear list:Hagane's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
T3
T3
T3
(unknown member)
tko
(unknown member)
DrA
DrA
DrA
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow