Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 II (H-H020A) - Banding

Started Aug 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
Anders W Forum Pro • Posts: 21,468
Re: Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 II (H-H020A) - Banding

Nemo0815 wrote:

There are examples of both the 45mm and the 75mm lenses producing visible banding even at ISO 1600 here in the forums (with OM-Ds).

On the other hand, the 20mm works just fine at any ISO with any other camera but the ones having a Sony Sensor (OM-D and Co.). So it's definatley not a lense problem at first, but a camera prob (with the lense possibly amplifying the camera issue.

As I have already pointed out multiple times in my exchange with s_grins in this thread, it is futile to debate the issue of whether it is the lens or the sensor that gives rise to the banding. It is both and, not either or.

Some phenomena have more than one cause and these causes interact to produce the phenomenon. Technically, this is known as an interaction effect:

http://www.alleydog.com/glossary/definition.php?term=Interaction%20Effect

In this case, a specific lens (the 20) and a specific sensor (the one used in the E-M5 and later Olys, and in the GH3) conjointly create banding. Switch to another lens or another sensor, and the banding becomes less prominent (i.e., less likely to occur and less likely to be as pronounced).

Yes, you can sometimes see banding with this sensor and other lenses too, but there is no question that the phenomenon is more prominent with the 20 than with other lenses.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +28 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow