Moon Shot - NEX-5R + Tamron SP 500mm Mirror + 2x Teleconverter

Started Jun 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
Kim Letkeman
Kim Letkeman Forum Pro • Posts: 33,428
very nice ... I gave up on stacking ...

Tatey wrote:

Well from my last thread asking for advice on taking moon shots I've been away in Scotland near the Isle of Mull and I have acquired a Tamron 2x teleconverter and in conjunction with my Tamron 500mm mirror lens I've managed to take the following picture.

This is from a 14 image stack using Registax, it's my first real attempt at using the software and I definitely think I've been a bit heavy with the wavelets so will try and play around with them to get a more natural looking result. I will also try for a bigger image stack and see if I can make some more improvements.

But overall I am impressed as this is my second attempt at getting a moon shot, the image below is uncropped.

These are very nice. Lots of details and very crisp looking. I assume that you could have made them bigger since you have 1500mm effective. How do they look at 100% crop?

I tried stacking at some point in the past and just found that the seeing (as in, variability of the clarity of the atmosphere) on such a large object made it very difficult to align things perfectly, so you always ended up with slightly mushy edges and thus had to leave images smaller than max crop.

Instead, I tend to prefer shooting a long series of images and inspecting each for the cleanest details, then using that single frame. So far, I find that there is always a sharpest image, no matter how many shots you have.

My latest attempt with the Tamron 500mm alone on the Panasonic G5 (1000mm effective) is by far my cleanest moon image ever. I processed it in color because it was so clean.

One of the images used in the stack.

Stacked image

-- hide signature --
 Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Nikon D600 Nikon D7200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +17 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow