I've been using this for a year now and hardly picked up my DSLR in that time. In fact, I'm thinking of selling it to fund a VF2 viewfinder for this camera. It takes all of my pentax primes and my lensbaby with a £5 adapter and the excellent kit zooms with the camera give me 28-300mm (35mm equiv) to a very high standard and virtually no weight. It really is a "take anywhere" camera.
The flip-up/down screen really is what makes this camera so useable - I shoot like its a TLR mostly, looking down to the flipped up screen - more stable than holding in front of your face and great for kid-level photos and shooting from the hip.
The picture quality is great up to ISO 1600 and this is where I set the auto ISO cut-off. One oddity is that the JPEG picture quality is not set at the finest in the factory settings. You have to go into the menus to find the super fine setting, but its a once-only operation .. no point changing this once set. Olympus reputation for JPEG quality is justified - many shots require no post-processing at all.
A few things could be improved to make this a perfect camera for me though:
- No option for a wireless remote is a real drawback
- Bulb setting is limited to 30 minutes and long night exposures can be a bit noisy.
- Bracketing function is superb but buried in the menu system. It should be easier to set in a hurry.
- No accessory port for a 3rd part microphone - this would complement the superb HD video
- Weather sealing would be nice
|Average community score||
|See all 5 reviews »|
bad for good for
|Kids / pets||
|Action / sports||
|Landscapes / scenery||
|Low light (without flash)||
|Flash photography (social)||
|Studio / still life||
= community average
- Canon EOS M58.8%
- Panasonic G85/G803.3%
- Panasonic FZ2500/FZ20001.9%
- Panasonic LX10/LX151.2%
- Panasonic GH5 development3.6%
- Sony a99 II15.9%
- Nikon KeyMission 170 and 801.0%
- Fujifilm GFX 50S development28.3%
- Olympus E-M1 II development18.7%
- Olympus E-PL80.1%
- Olympus 25mm F1.2 Pro1.5%
- Olympus 12-100mm F4 IS Pro1.9%
- Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro0.1%
- Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art3.6%
- Sigma 12-24mm F4 Art2.6%
- Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport2.4%
- YI M12.2%
- GoPro Hero50.8%
- GoPro Karma drone2.2%