Going Native?

Started Aug 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
ROC124 Contributing Member • Posts: 784
Re: Here is an honest asessment

I already have access to both m4/3 and 4/3 lenses with the EPL-2 body. Unlike most, autofocus speed isn't much of an issue for me, so I use 4/3 lenses with adapter frequently.

The adapter is a problem for me. Switching between lens mounts means taking the adapter on and off, getting it in an out of the bag, putting and taking off a cap to protect the contacts, and so on. In practice it has been quite a hassle and slows me down, unless I only use one 4/3 lens and keep the adapter on it. The alternative is to have enough adapters for every 4/3 lens, but that gets too expensive.

Ultimately I think reliance on adapters is an untenable solution. If Olympus doesn't produce a new body for the 4/3 mount (likely), and doesn't quicly introduce several new, fast and excellent m4/3 zooms for an OM-D pro body, then current 4/3 users will have some big decisions to make. I'm sure Olympus hopes most of us will find going all-in with m4/3 instead of switching brands will less financially painful for us, but painful it will be.

Given trends in camera sales and what it portends for long term manufacturer viability, many are likely to bite the bullet now and move to the major DSLR brands. If I decide to change mounts for my primary camera it will be important to know there will be new bodies available for many years.

-- hide signature --
 ROC124's gear list:ROC124's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow