Started Aug 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
Anders W Forum Pro • Posts: 21,468
Re: Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 II (H-H020A) - Banding

s_grins wrote:

Anders W wrote:

s_grins wrote:

tsi wrote:

s_grins wrote:

Now, you try to blame flex fires. All lenses have these wires. Stop pouring apparent BS.

I never stated that it is the flex wires.

But it is not so easy to rule out the flex wires which carry the current drawn by the aperture motor and the focus motor. Flex wires come in different shielding quality. You can mess up with a wrong design, or if you try to save money and buy the cheap solution.

However, the voltage regulator on the PCB has been blamed before for causing the banding (Detail Man / Anders). In this sense the power draw of the aperture motor and of the focus motor requires voltage regulation, which results in banding. The different characteristics of the banding observed with only the aperture motor connected and with only the focus motor connected may be related to the difference of their power cycles.

Tsi, I'll try to be calm and polite.

Why do you think that voltage regulator is mounted inside the lens? I do not know, but I'd place it inside the camera motherboard/PCB - one for all lenses. I do not want to comment on aperture motor and all other details. I'm surprised how easy humans can accept somebody fantasies as the top of the truth.

I am sorry but I think have to be a bit impolite (although perfectly calm): I am surprised at how easy some humans, in this case you, can speak with confidence about things that they clearly have no idea at all about, and on top of that meet those who make patient efforts to explain with disparaging remarks.

This particular matter has been discussed in considerable detail in the first of the two threads to which tsi linked in his OP. Here are the details after Roger Cicala had taken the trouble to dismantle the lens for us and photograph the PCB:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/50155450

Why do think your discussions came to the right conclusions?

That the electric circuitry in the lens is indeed responsible has just been demonstrated by tsi. For the reasons why the voltage regulator on the PCB is a likely culprit, please read the thread I (and tsi) linked to. Noone has claimed that he/she knows for sure that it is this particular electric component in the lens that is responsible but that's the most likely alternative based on what we know about the symptoms. Again, for details, please read the prior thread.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +28 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow